Saturday, September 1, 2007

5 days to go!

Well, I guess I'm counting down to a fairly arbitrary date. While it is my "due date", it is, after all, referred to as an estimated due date. I have to say that I was fairly shocked to find out that less than 4% of women actually deliver on their "EDD". In fact, first time moms can almost always be counted on to deliver 10 days after their assigned due date. So, I guess it's all a waiting game at this point. Since I've never been pregnant before, I have absolutely no idea what all of the aches and pains I'm feeling are. I'm definitely having the occasional contraction, but nothing that I can really track. While they can get pretty painful, there certainly nothing like what I've heard described. Every time I feel one, I think to myself , "this has to be it." But in my head, I'm pretty confident that I shouldn't even begin to expect her until after her due date. It's funny that it's even more tangible to count down to the start of my maternity leave, even though I'm not scheduled to leave until 1 day after my due date (unless she arrives early or on time).


So, basically, I'm thinking that doctors should start giving expecting parents an estimated due month...or maybe even a 5 week time span. I'm just thinking that if they did this, they'd avoid all of those unhappy very pregnant women who anticipate their due date for 9 months only to have it pass them by uneventfully. I guess I'll just keep on waiting on her. I'm sure she'll come when she's ready. Until then, I'm going to keep counting down to one of many possible days that she might make her arrival :-)

No comments: