Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"Is she here yet?"

While I appreciate that the phone calls have not yet started asking me if I’ve had the baby, I’m starting to realize that it’s still the only thing on most peoples’ minds. I was just sitting here (at my desk at work) and feeling distracted (which is the only way I feel these days). It was one of the more quiet moments I get here when no one walks by me and comments that “Oh, I’m still here?” followed by advice on how to induce my own labor. Well, as I was sitting, I was thinking I should call Timmy at work and say hi. He’s been so busy trying to tie up some loose ends so he leaves everything in a somewhat completed state when he has to pick up at the drop of a hat and head out on a couple of weeks of paternity leave. I thought maybe a quick phone call instead of an e-mail would perk up his day a bit. But I’ve decided against it after more thought. Even if there are a million things going on around him and he’s far too busy to have a pointless conversation with his bored wife (which I know he is and completely understand), he’d answer his phone in fear that it was me calling in an emergency situation (which it isn’t at all). I think I’ll leave the phone right where it is.

I called my mom yesterday to tell her how we had finished all of our final shopping for the baby and I swear she was half way to the car on her way to the hospital by the time I got a single word out. Even Tim has all but been forbidden from calling his family in the middle of the day because it’s so out of character for him, they assume it must mean baby time. Even when I called my dad last week to set up plans for BC’s tailgate on Saturday, the first words out of my mouth were “don’t worry, there’s no baby yet”. I’m not even sure he was going ask, but I thought I’d go for the preemptive strike in that case.

Eh, I guess I can’t blame any of them. I guess it’s easy for me to judge since I always know what’s going on with me and the baby. I think the best solution is to start appreciating more how many people there are that care about us so much.

No comments: