Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Aches and Pains

Well, I'm currently 28 and 6 days along in this pregnancy which means that I'm officially in the third trimester! YAY for me for making it this far without any major psycho-hormonal moments! Well, I haven't asked my husband yet if that's really true, but I can't remember any so I'm going with it.

Pregnancy has really been great up until now (once I got past that morning sickness, of course), but as much as I already love my little girl, but I have to say that this baby is getting on my nerves....literally. I saw a doc today to check out why my back feels like it's had a knife sticking out of it for the last several days. Apparently Tazby has decided to wedge herself on a nerve cluster in my back and is refusing to budge. Well, despite Timmy's stern talk with her and my threatening to ground her as soon as she makes her first appearance, she still isn't letting me sleep at night or focus on anything at work.

So the doc did the only thing he really could do (following a thorough examination)...he wrote me a prescription for percocet. Now, I'm not on the "natural birth" train when it comes to labor and delivery and will happily welcome an anesthesiologist into my room when the time is right, but I've really tried to avoid medications since I've been pregnant. I have my pill case stocked with pre-natal vitamins, tums, and extra-strength tylenol, but the vitamins are the only ones I take with any sort of regularity. As you can tell, I'm a little apprehensive about taking any dose of a pain killer...even one prescribed by an ob/gyn with full knowledge of my pregnancy. I haven't taken one yet and I'm not sure if I plan on it, but I guess I can't say until I've reached another sleepless night yet.

I guess the point is that I'm not trying to judge anyone who relies on prescription medication for any affliction, but in my own opinion, it's important to do your own research and decide for yourself what is best for you (and your baby, if the case my be). Just because a doctor prescribes it, you don't have to take it. I'll let you know tomorrow if I caved in and took a little help to ease my pain. Either way, I won't doubt my decision because I'll know I made the choice that was best for us.

No comments: