Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Dressing my Growing Belly

Just to start off, Mommy and baby are doing great. Tazby is still very active and I love (mostly!) getting to feel her everyday. I think the next big moving milestone will be when I can actually see her distinct movements from the outside. In my head it seems really strange, like a scene from Alien, but I know, just like all of the other milestones of this pregnancy, it will be wonderful.

So, I feel very fortunate that I'm pregnant now and not, say, 10 years ago. Aside from the fact that I would have only been 15, but because maternity clothes are so much more fashionable now than they have ever been in the past. This is a great thing because as pregnant women adjust to their rapidly changing figures, it's nice to be able to put on clothes that fit and look good too and don't make us feel like houses. This giant belly certainly isn't going anywhere so I might as well embrace it for what it is (and in something better than a muumuu, thank you!). As I read somewhere "I'm not gaining weight, I'm growing life"...(also a very appropriate response to all those strangers who insist on commenting on my figure)...so I'll love it while I have it. I've actually started referring to non-maternity clothes as "real people clothes". I don't know what that makes me, but oh well. There are only a few clothing gripes that I do have...here they are.

1. Why does every maternity shirt insist on being equipped with strings that tie in the back. Although I do own my fair share of these and some of them are very complimentary to my new shape, it's also nice to have some days where I'm not forced to wear a giant bow on my back...but maybe that's just me since my pregnant friend Martha insists on only buying shirts with the giant bow.
2. With all of the different social events of the summer, I've had a hell of a time finding dresses. Most mornings when I wake up, it's too hot to even thinking about putting an outfit together (which may even consist of several layers). Dresses are a great solution for this. Although there are some nice dresses out there, they tend to all look alike (and have a giant bow in the back) and are ridiculously expensive for something with such a limited shelf-life. If you have any of your own clothing observations, I'd love to hear them so leave a comment!

Now, with that being said, there are some great things that I love about maternity clothes.

1. Elastics...yep, when at most times of my life, I dread the thought of only being able to comfortably wear clothing without zippers, buttons or snaps, there is nothing I like better these days. It gives total freedom to let it all hang out with absolutely no discomfort...amazing.
2. I think I may never wear real jeans again (well, at least I'll know I'll never be as comfortable in them as I am in my maternity jeans). What most people don't realize is that they are like stretch pants, only they look like denim! Get that? While we all know (or should) that stretch pants are a horrible fashion statement, there is absolutely no denying that if it was social acceptable, we would wear them everyday for sheer comfort alone. Not only do maternity jeans look like stretch pants, but some of them have big cotton panels that cover your whole tummy so you never have to worry about your shirt riding up and your belly hanging out. Yes, these are the things that get me excited these days.

For future reference, here are my absolute favorite maternity stores. Check them out:
GapMaternity (great weekend clothes, great prices and my favorite jeans!)
H&M Maternity (also some great deals)
Mimi Maternity (huge selection)

And here's a funny website on how to find good maternity clothes. I think the advice is great if you're going to live on your couch for the entire pregnancy (seriously, leggings and your husband's button-down shirts?), but nonetheless, I was entertained.

I'm excited for the day I can fit into my old clothes again, but for the time being, I'll be chillin' in my elastic pants and loving it :-)

No comments: