Friday, February 1, 2008

Packing on the Pounds

As I mentioned in my last post, Kacey's weight and length weren't charting well at her 4 month pediatrician appointment. She's a very tall, very slim baby and the doc wanted to make sure that she was getting a sufficient amount of calories everyday to sustain how quickly she is growing in height. Click here to find out more about growth charts.

In order to help her get these extra calories she needs, we add a teaspoon of powdered formula in with each 3 ounces of breast milk she receives while I am at work. For reference, she averages about 4x 4 oz bottles on those days. I'm only really able to pump enough to give her 3 bottles so that 4th bottle has become all formula. While the transition was difficult at first, we found a formula that works well in Kacey's system (Nestle Goodstart Supreme) and she seems to be doing just great with it.

We go back to the pediatrician next week for an official weight check-in, but I've been concerned and not wanting to wait so I've taken the opportunity to weigh her the last two weeks on the baby scale at Isis Maternity after my mommy/baby group. Last Friday (1 week post 4 month appointment), her weight had jumped to 11 lbs 11 oz. I was thrilled. That's a 1/4 lb. in 1 week. Well, 1 week later, she's a whopping 12 lbs 4 oz.! That's almost 1 lb. in 2 weeks! Pretty amazing for a girl that only gained 3 pounds in the first 4 months of life. We're really excited about how she's thriving!

While it was hard for me to originally get over my "breast feeding snobiness" and come to terms with her having formula, seeing how well she's doing makes me realize that nothing matters except her happiness and her health. It's all about her and that's a great thing. We'll let you know what the pediatrician says after her appointment on Friday, February 8th! I almost can't wait to show off our mighty little Kacey!

No comments: